PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the tourism market dead/alive??
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 10:49
werbil

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did something like that about twenty years ago.

I found someone that was prepared to let me operate under their AOC (it was much easier back then) and took the financial risk. Once I obtained sufficient experience I got my own AOC (it was a hell of a lot easier back then). If you do good research and choose the right location, the right equipment, do sensational marketing and have a good run with the weather you may be able to avoid losing a small fortune.

Tourist work is very weather dependant and is usually seasonal. When the weather is good the tourists aren't there and when there's lots about the weather is usually crap. My experience is that in good weather a significant number of people go bush walking or to the beach and when the weather isn't great for those activities they'll think about scenic flights. If you do make a go of it others will probably try to copy you - at a fraction of the price - which is where good marketing is essential.

Would I do it again? From a career progression perspective a definite no - the hours built very slowly and I made a pittance. When I gave it away with just over 1000 hours in the logbook I left the industry for over ten years (apart from some casual charter work) before ending up flying floats in open water - which is brilliant flying but really wont lead anywhere. In my case lifestyle and life enjoyment won.