PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 09:50
superdimona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jabawocky,

Yes I do remember you

You can have that, of course it requires a bit of training, its called a PPL, and for those of you who want to it will only take about another 5-10 hours I guess to achieve (for the most part).
Without derailing the thread too much, I've done a fair bit of research, and sadly it's much more of a pain then that. I've had GA schools want to start me back at Straight and Level

Why do I need an ASIC ($), a medical ($) lessons in an expensive to hire aircraft that I do not to intend to fly after training ($$$) and another big flight test at GA rates ($$$$) just to transit the odd bit of class C/D? I just don't see why we are forcing people to spend thousands of dollars extra. Most people fly RAA because they can't afford the expense of GA. They may have to go over tiger country or through bad weather OCAS when they could have easily zipped through class C.

Literally _today_ I got stuck somewhere when my planned route home was clouded in. I was in an aircraft with a transponder and reliable 4-stroke engine, capable of doing 100 knots (not a chair with wings, powered by a lawnmower engine). If I was allowed to do a 'Controlled Airspace' endorsement (which was almost in the bag but our new CASA leader decided to knock back) I could have easily have cut through some class C and been home perhaps 5 minutes late.

Instead, because CASA (who are supposed to only make rules on safety grounds) won't let me train for class C, I had a choice between scud-running overwater with low visibility at 500-1000 feet (bugger that) or diverting to another airfield and waiting it out. Several hours and multiple 'go and see' flights later I managed to be home.

I've spoken to controllers before, and they didn't see a problem with a properly equipped and trained RAA pilot flying through class C - they encouraged me to always ask for help if I needed it. I'm happy to get the training but they goverment won't let me receive it. Why do the RAAs 9200+ members need PPLs when Glider pilots don't

PM will be sent.

cheers