PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Met and AFT notes
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 06:59
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I start a new thread I'll try to see if digging up this older thread (the most relevant I can find on the matter) manages to capture the desired attention.

I recently sat and failed AMET. I did study but I probably should have put it off a bit when I was called to do some crazy hours leading up to and including exam day.

OK excuses aside I'd like to get some insight on a few issues. My KDR leads me to believe that I got the following question (plus many others) wrong:

A crew flying south at FL370 over Australia notice a steadily increasing temperature and a strong increase in a Westerly wind. What should they do to avoid CAT:
  1. Climb,
  2. Descend,
  3. Nothing or
  4. some stupid idea
This is obviously a Jet Stream question and my initial thought was to Descend but then I got a bit too smart for my own good and thought that a climb made more sense. What I want to know is why the temperature is increasing. Having started in the warmer air column to the North (which causes the thermal wind which in turn does the coriolis trick and becomes the Jet Stream) why is the temp increasing?

FRQ CB