PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 00:25
peuce

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have been racking my brains, long and hard, trying to work out why the Nastonauts are so dead set keen on Class E airspace.

Lets assume for a minute that most of us have got it wrong and it does cost (marginally) more to operate C than E. Is it so much of a difference that a reasonable person would trade off the added safety of C? I don't think so.

So, are they VFR operators who are scared of talking to ATC? The characters on here are pretty forthright ... I couldn't see them being too backward in coming forward.

There appears to be only 2 options left:
  1. They are VFR operators ... who don't want to be seen ... and don't want to be bothered with clearances to do what they want
  2. Or, they have a religious-like fervor that Class E is the redeemer of all things evil in airspace management

To, me, both illogical reasons, and I suspect the real answer is a mixture of both.

Is it possible to "turn" them? Is there anything we can do to change their attitude? Perhaps an intervention?

I suspect that something along the line of old dogs and new tricks might be appropriate here.