PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 22:25
PRD Area

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all of you doubters and naysayers out there, please stop for one moment think of it this way:

As an airline executive or pilot faced with a go/no go decision, could you make a decision to go into an area which is forecast, under a best case scenario, to cause damage to some of the most expensive components on your aircraft (engines)? I'm not an engineer, but I am lead to believe that a hot section inspection is not cheap, let alone hot + cold and replacing defective parts! (For evidence of this occurring, please see Finnish Military pictures above).

The worst case scenario is that you lose an aircraft and crew. Strictly from a business point of view, and aside from all of the damage to your airlines' reputation, the sheer monetary loss would be astronomical. I dare say that no insurance company will cover your loss for deliberately flying into (forecast and completely avoidable) dangerous meteorological conditions.

Also, as has been said before:

"Its much better to be down here wishing you're up there than to be up there wishing you're down here."

and

"Superior Airmanship is the application of superior judgement to ensure use of the airmans' superior skills is not required"