PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the tourism market dead/alive??
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 22:05
Pandanus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an idea like that once; thankfully I didn't follow it and went up North instead. Ended up flying for an airline in my home city after a GA / regional airline career so I can speak with some experiences of my own.

A lot of effort and enormous expense for a marginal return in flying hours and financial return; more likely financial loss. Besides scenic hours around a city are not going to build a flying career. It'll just become an expensive pit-stop before you come to your senses.

Don't waste your time with instructing or anything else in the cities, just go up north, stick it out, follow the well worn path and you'll do alright. And if the first charter job is hard to get, go and get started as a jackaroo working for Stanbroke Pastoral or one of the other companies that own outback cattle stations for a year or two on a C182 until you can break into charter.

Scenic hours (like instructing) are low grade hours which can only lead to the next step (which is up North anyway). Why would you want to go to all that effort when you could much more easily just get a flying job which will lead you to better things?

I think the Castrol GTX mafia boss sums it all up nicely.

YouTube - Another Castrol GTX - Australian Commercial

Good luck and enjoy the ride
Pandanus