PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Airspace closure
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 13:25
BDiONU
Beady Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooby Don't
Assuming the volcanic ash is a problem at FL300+, what is dangerous about flight at, say FL250? By all means adjust the levels but a buffer beneath the known levels of volcanic ash (and if 5,000 ft isn't enough, go for 10,000 ft!) would seem a much more proportionate response.
Is ash not affected by gravity then?
Ahh, but then NATS directors probably wouldn't be interviewed on TV and radio and wouldn't be able to bless us with their "wisdom"...
NATS don't own the airspace, they're Air Navigation Service Providers, note the words Service Providers. UK Government PLC own the airspace and it's their decision, NATS are the talking heads/mouthpieces. The government are guided by the advice from the scientific (vulcanologists) community and pressure is no doubt being applied to them not to be so pessemistic/conservative in their calculations of where the ash cloud is.

Call me a bluff old traditionalist if you wish but given the very well documented risks of the effects of volcanic ash on aircraft I personally don't want some aircraft owner ignoring everything and leaping into the sky with the possibility of their mangled wreckage landing on my head. I would assume the government has a similar view and are protecting the general public at large (plus the cost of clearing up the mess left behind).

BD