PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operation Goodwill 1946 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 11:44
Hipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Goodwill' Continues

The following day, the 18th of July, there was formation flying over New York and from then until mid August the squadron flew and were feted all over the U.S.. They flew to Scott Field St Louis, Lowry Field Denver, Long Beach Los Angeles, Kelly Field San Antonio, Andrews Field Washington, Westover Field near the city of Springfield Massachusetts, and finally back to Mitchell Field Long Island on the 18th of August. The crews had their fair share of entertainment including visits to the races, film studios and opportunities to go shopping (I would imagine with the austere situation back home that such opportunities could not be missed).

This link shows about one minute of film of the squadron flying over New York and landing at Mitchell Field. It starts about 03.01 minutes:

Pres. Truman Honors Nisei Combat Group, 1946/07/18 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Long Beach Field, Los Angeles, F/L Bullen, F/L Gardner, F/L Hulbert, F/L Simpson, F/L Lewis plus a couple of friends.

Er, surely not. San Antonio, Texas. I think F/L Bullen (my father) is hiding behind the drink tins - probably having emptied most of them!

Andrews Field, Washington. About to take off in a Fairchild Packet to visit Fairchild Aviation Works.

Fairchild Packet

Fairchild Aviation Works, Maryland USA.