PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 10:41
oceancrosser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting viewing off a Dutch website - was posted on a weather forum

Danmarks Miljøundersøgelser, Aarhus Universitet - Sådan spreder vulkan-skyen fra Island sig

btw anyone looked at the Jetstream forecast up till Wednesday ? doesn't look that great to my non-meterological eyes.
The problem with that graphic is twofold, it assumes a steady stream of high level ash from the volcano, which apparently is not the case.
Secondly it shows high density of ash over Europe (similar colour as straight from the volcano) spread over areas hundreds of times larger. Certainly it will spread out, and become much less dense.

The danger is definitely real, invisible to human eye but very tangible for radars and engines.
This is not over reaction, there was no alternative.
Friends from London have just confirmed to me that all cars this morning ,which were left parked outdoors overnight, are now covered by a thin layer of golden sand, obviously this is the ash from the volcano.
If you have a black car the ash is clearly visible on your car, go and check it out.
I hope people dont try to wipe the stuff off, it is extremely abrasive and will leave instant marks in the paintwork, much like sandpaper... has to be washed off with plenty of water.