PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 10:21
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
View from the North Downs

The Sandman,

Thanks for the link to EUMETSAT dust animation, which seems to show the remnants have now arrived over South East England, where I am.

The problem with many other satellite pics is that they show a large amount of cirrus cloud clearly crossing Iceland from west to east, then continuing to circulate clockwise around the anticyclone, and into the North Sea and surrounding lands. How much of this has been contaminated by the eruption is not immediately obvious: the dust animation seems to clarify this.

I notice that the UK Met Office VAAC charts are now annotated: "no significant ash risk above FL350".

I've been inclined to think that the CAS closure throughout the UK was an over-reaction, as I implied yesterday. Last night, here on the North Downs, the stars were slightly blurred; but this could easily have been by thin cirrus. It probably was. I left a highly-scientific detector in my garden, in the form of a clean sheet of A4 paper. This morning it was pristine-clean.

This morning, however, there is an odd look to the sky. When the sun finds a gap in the cloud, it seems to shine slightly attenuated. The patches of blue sky seem to lack brilliance, reminiscent of the sky during the beginnings of a solar eclipse. The above may be my imagination; but remember I am a sceptic.

Would anyone else in this neck of the woods like to comment?

Chris