PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish businessman proposes to circumnavigate the world in an autogyro
Old 16th Apr 2010, 09:47
rokami93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mutt
He then got caught in a Saudi sand storm and had to land on a road. I'm sure that he had fun trying to explain that to the authorities.

Considering that most of Saudi is experiencing wide scale thunderstorms and sand storms this week, the guy is crazy for even attempting to cross the country VFR.
I suppose very often it is not craziness, but lack of information. This gap is then filled with wishful thinking and an attitude "it'll turn out alright". (At least this is my case)

This guy will experience many more things like these. The hardest ones aren't sandstorms but paperwork and authorities who don't like these kind of adventures at all.

I remember that the last attempt to round the world with an autogyro ended in Bangladesh in a monsoon. He couldn't fly on as he had to wait for the rainy season to end, but his gyro was flooded when he came back a few months later to continue.

The first one to round the world in an autogyro will definitely be in line other aviation pioneers. I wish him good luck.

EDIT: He made it to Mosqat/Oman and is now crossing some water towards Iran or Pakistan.

Last edited by rokami93; 16th Apr 2010 at 10:02.