PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 07:34
Stoic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over-reaction

Airclues:

I have just walked back from t'pub under a clear, starlit sky. There is no way that an aircraft would encounter volcanic ash tonight (25 miles from LHR). This is a massive over-reaction.

On 24/2/89 I operated LHR-ANC. There was a large plume to the north of the airfield (Mt Redoubt), so we flew past the airfield and approached from the south (KLM had previously decided to fly through the plume).
Spot on IMHO!

Tocamak:

I never cease to be amazed by comments from people who probably have no real knowledge about the issue, base their assertions on unrelated experience and have no responsibility at all so can easily spout a load of rubbish. I am sure that NATS, and their equivalents in the countries affected, are not taking this action just for the fun of it or indeed lightly. They would no doubt be interested in your input to help with the formulation of an overall plan!
Tocamak, you should be aware that Airclues is exactly the sort of person who has related experience and responsibility!

It seems to me that this whole apparent over-reaction may be driven by the box-ticking approach to risk management which has infected public life. The unnecessary financial damage inflicted on a badly struggling industry will force a subsequent reassessment of the action plan. Stand by for plenty of spin.