PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 01:50
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
wiggy
My final "shot" on this.
1. Staff Travel generates revenue for BA.
2. Under the current law of the land it's impossible for BA to squeeze much, if any, extra work for the majority of 's pilots, can't comment for Cabin Crew.
3. Commuting is done in people's off duty time.

So short of changing the national rules for the prevention of fatigue, and/or banning traveling by air when off duty the only way BA can stop staff members commuting is by cutting pay. Is that what you are suggesting?
I do not dispute your three points. I am only saying that I find it remarkable that it continues to such an extent these days and that (of itself) shows the very extent to which the business still has to adjust to the 21st Century in western Europe. How it will change I do not know. But I know that it will change.

MissM Explains the hot towel issue well and binsleepen gave the logical reply. I realise that the issue was seen as 'the last straw' by some (or as a suitable 'last straw' by some) but the blame is not with BASSA. They simply did what any group of humans will do - which is to seek preferment for their own group, fair enough that is why they are there.

The blame lies with BA mgmt over an extended period of time. EVERY manager who gave in for a quite life is to blame. Every department boss, every senior manager, every BA CEO and all members of the board and their Chairmen across the last 20 years (since the last recession) - they are all to blame. Some will still be there but most will be on the golf course and with fat pensions. They should be ashamed that they had so lost control of their jobs that it could come to the point where pax who have paid a premium price may only get a hot towel depending on the mood of the CC.

If I have misjudged the situation - then please correct me.