PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA allows pilots to take antidepressants
Old 16th Apr 2010, 00:58
Global_wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a pilot who had to give up flying because the pay at the entry level was too low to support my family, I just wanted to chime in with my $0.02

I think that 28 days is too short to determine whether the medication is actually working or not. I recently went through a bad spell, and spent almost a year on them. I was suffering from depression and anxiety. The first type failed to work effectively, the second type had a wierd side effect (although the missus loved it), and the third type actually worked. Bear in mind it took almost 4 months to establish the correct medication that worked for ME. Not all pills react the same for different people. But the bottom line is, they helped me (and yes I still work in an aviation related role, but in the office, not the air).

If somebody told me that one of the guys in the front office was on antidepressants I truly wouldn't have an issue with it if he had found the right meds etc.

And I'm really sorry to say to those of you that have not suffered this affliction, don't judge those that have and return to their positions. We don't all react the same way, and although you think you have felt the same way as somebody who admits to the medication, maybe you haven't. I lost my wife through suicide and had to ID her body. Tell me that won't impact you!

Anyway, that's my thought process.