PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3.5 Billion for defence - what would you buy?
Old 17th Jul 2002, 10:20
solotk

Hmmmmmmmmm Dear SantaJock

Ok, more spare parts, the same land Rovers that foreign governments get. An AFV/TCV with a big gun guaranteed to keep the other sides heads down on a debus. Radios that work, we don't need all singing and dancing, just the ones you can buy in radio shack that do the job, and don't cost squillions to develop. Combat suits that don't wear out in 2 mins flat, Pro-Boots as standard issue, The Canadian version of the M-16, the HK G36 , or can we just have our SLR's back? SA-80-2/3/4/5 's can go to the Corps. We also want Minimis as the Light Support Weapon, or a lightened Gimpy.

Next, can we stop spending squillions on new aircraft development, and instead buy Mig-29's off the shelf, for not a lot of dough, re-engine them with Derby's finest, with Western Avionics etc. I have a mate intimate with design/dev/building the C-17 Globemeister, and another one who flies on them a lot, I'll ask them to drop by with their sales glossies, I'm sure there are other aircraft available, which can be adapted for a damn sight less. Does no one ever ask the Blue mates on squadron what is in their crimbo wish list? Move RAF bases overseas, nearer to areas of likely tension, in countries where we can have a deal, to keep the running costs down.

Buy more cheaper smaller aircraft, capable of doing the job in low intensity conflicts, Hawk 200 and the like, and give the AAC the helicopter element of the RAF. Bin the Apache, because it's all political anyway and buy SuperCobras. The Isrealis love them, they're simple, and you can hang an awful lot of ordanance off them.

Tell BAe , they're having a laugh and a half with their product pricing, and you'll re-nationalise the entire defence industry, if they don't sharpen their pencils soonest. Same for Royal Ordance, Vickers and the rest of the bloated running dogs of the armaments industry.

As for the Navy? Lease some of the Yankee dry-docked carriers,or buy them , do a deal on F-18's and AV-8's.

More fast torpedo boats, cos I love 'em. Small fast heavily armed, do a lot of damage for not a lot of money, as various Arab and Asian navies have proved.

Renationalise the shipyards, and start building proper frigates and destroyers at the right money. really, when all is said and done, the Defence industry, should be under the control of the Government, not bloody shareholders.

Right, I think that's the 3.5 billion spent.

Now remember, the above is only a wibble, and just for fun, it's not meant to be serious, unless any of you wanna debate it