PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2010, 21:30
rp122

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking NW this evening in Berkshire

The sky looked like this for about 20 mins, then clouded over, and then cleared with nothing visible. This might just be cirrus, but then the sun angle may have been just right at the time.

Earlier in the afternoon there was a discolouration to what looked like high thin cloud, and at this time the sun was much lower and this structure could be seen. I'm thinking this may have been the low sun angle illuminating it from below. Everything pretty much disappeared into clear sky with a little haze thereafter.
(music rights are cleared BTW)

This is 4x normal speed, so about 4minutes here showing very slow drifting of these clouds.

This view is looking North West at 18:45 today. Location is 10 miles West of LHR.

This is about an hour from sunset, so the sun is about 15deg above horizon - technically 'astronomical twilight' as that occurs when the Sun is 18 deg above the horizon.

At the 53sec mark in the film, the automatic exposure of the camera kicks in to change that.

Crikey, I don't think I'm going ga-ga.

Ashmap for the UK at 2300 tonight.

I think what I filmed was really ash now.

Good article here addressing the possible long-term issues.

Last edited by rp122; 15th Apr 2010 at 22:35. Reason: adding supporting information