PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters and Volcanic Ash?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2010, 14:33
charlieDontSurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we securing us to death?

I started to think about today's total ban of SAR and HEMS ops in Norway.

Where I am now, there's blue skies 360 degrees as long as you can see, but SAR and HEMS ops are grounded because of volcanic ash.
The reason is that they can't operate if IFR traffic isn't allowed. But now it's daylight and perfect VFR weather...

The society today is extremely safety-focused, and it's always "safety first". But are we fooling ourselves by beeing too cautious? What risk is involved in flying VFR at 2000ft when you can't even see trace of volcanic ash in the atmosphere? Are the SAR or HEMS crew at a great risk if they fly VFR now?
Surely, the pasients who would need help now won't get as fast to the hospital, and won't get a doctor out to the accident site. Not to mention if something happens offshore at an oil-platform, or to a ship...

Are we securing ourselves to death by jeapordising potential patients' security over something that maybe isn't that dangerous?
What if a train disaster happened up in a remote area now? I guess they would allow helicopters to assist, but there are quite a few accidents a day that are life/death situations depending on a rapid HEMS service. People don't decide NOT to get injured today or tomorrow...

I clearly understand that IFR traffic may be dangerous because you don't know what you may fly into, but VFR...?

Is this the consequence of a "safety first" society? Where the most dangerous a kid can do is to put on his helmet, because he might get pinched by the strap-lock...?