PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2010, 14:26
MissM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pencisely

I know exactly what is happening around the world and that many companies and people are suffering. Nobody, possibly with some exceptions, could be foolish enough to deny it.

Crew with VS have very poor union representation which is probably one of the reasons for their low salaries as well lower terms and conditions compared to BA. No doubt they want higher salaries and maybe this explains why crew are coming to BA and rarely the other way around. Poor union representation explains why their equivalent to our CSD earns 50% less and if you were in BA you would also know that none of us will not get anywhere near those salaries ever again. Those days are long gone by.

Contracted not to move curtains? I can't comment on it as I have never done shorthaul but it sounds a bit extraordinary.

I was recruited to certain terms and conditions which BA had agreed to with our unions. Nothing wrong with it despite what qualifications were required for the job or how long training was. There were set terms and conditions and a salary package and like you say nobody never could have predicted what would happen. BA is able to put through volunteers for 21 days and then they're all trained and good. Well done. When I was recruited it was a different mantra with a long and extensive recruitment process and training was definitely not 21 days. Why are they able to do it now by cutting back on the recruitment process and training? Because they need strikebreakers standing by to break our strike. That's the only reason.