PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2010, 01:28
pencisely

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss M

It is very interesting and appreciated that you have elected to return to this forum.

You express mostly a balanced view of this dispute but with an undertone that demonstrates a mindset of a bygone era.

Having read most of what you have said you make many good points but with an obvious ignorance of how the world has changed around you whilst protected in your BASSA negotiated BA bubble.

Look around you -
  1. UK PLC is pretty much bankrupt and many of your fellow citizens are suffering
  2. If you need closer evidence of how far it has gone just look at the ownership of many of our once great assets? LHR is a good starting point - owned by the Spanish; British Nuclear power generation - the French government; Jaguar - the Inidans; British steel - The same Indians- Thames Water - The Germans ....... etc .. etc
Be realistic - you have had a good run but the game is over!

I fly regularly with Virgin and know very well what their CSD equivelants get paid, it is about 50% at best of a BA CSD.

If BA are actually offering a deal that protects your basics T's & C's then just be happy, bite their hands off but do not expect your succesors to receive the same benefits.

Also the notion that your pay level should be proportional to your length of service died in the late 80's.

I also know very well how ridculous some of the BASSA deals have been over the years, hot towels is recent but just continues a theme - BA flight deck crew from regional tell me how the CC were contracted not to move the Biz class curtain in turnaround meaning the flight deck crew had to do it whilc CC drank coffee watching! - get real! - its over!

But don't forget your real weak spot! - 21 days to train a person with no particular educational qualifications to do your job! - if I am incorrect here please advise what the entrance requirements for a CC actually are?

If you really distrust your employer to the extent you indicate isn't it just time to move on? - for the avoidance of doubt this means take your skills and experience and offer them on the market to the highest bidder - only this way will you learn whether or not your current employer is being unfair. Market forces will then ensure that they have to adjust their remuneration package to a level that fulfills their demand.

It may seem harsh but it is the basis of the capitalist economy that we live in - the same one that attracts £10,000 for a 1st class return LFR to SFO and the same one that dictates £350 for the same route economy. It is the world that your employer lives in and guess what? it has changed in a way that probably no one could have predicted when your t's & c's were negotiated.

Miss M - this is not a personal attack but are widely held opinions on this dispute from the business community. I welcome your response as someone who appears as a BASSA moderate.