PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesia Crash
Thread: Indonesia Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2010, 19:44
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 instructors in front... and this happened... Ego-war in front? Get-there-itis?
Possible MDA bust and/or unstable approach.
Or someone forgot to do a "spoilers" call...

Geez... when will my fellow countrymen learn that ego & flying = disaster?

These audits and contract requirements are not 'impossible standards', they are achievable but require a 'top-down' approach and commitment from the individual company - the rewards are substantial.
One enjoyed an incident free year last year, and continues to work hard to get another year of it... and its yields are up as a result...
Another continue to work on further improving safety, and is enjoying bloody high yields thanks to pax from the oil and gas industry (and continue to pass their better than the DGCA audits).

BUT, both, are now being targetted by the regulators and competitors for possible paperwork violations... It seems that many people in the industry, just don't believe in safety and are out to punish those who enjoy the benefits of achieving good safety standards! Yes, safety is improving, but it has resulted in some here to put on their worst behaviour!

You said it yourself, "only one" Indonesia airline (Garuda) is permitted to fly to EU countries.
4 actually... (as GBV mentioned) they had to apply for the exemption, and recommended by the DGCA... Guess what, one of the two companies mentioned above have given up applying for the exemption because "it's not worth it" due to the recommendation "requirement" imposed by the DGCA.

have seen some of those external audits and they are not rigourous at all...just another way to make money...maybe the only reason why we don't see many non-scheduled operators crashing is simply because they don't fly as many hours as a scheduled Indonesian operator.
Well, some are strict as hell, some are just there for "slap another audit on the resume". Some airlines think that the strict ones can be bought, and those who tried, got a nasty bite... and ended up claiming to be the victim of a global conspiracy to take over the Indonesian airlines, and accuse those who passed the audits on merits to be 'siding with the enemy'.

May the good guys reap the benefits! For the idiots, may you reap what cr4p you sow!

This accident comes as no surprise in terms of the carrier and timing. Some have fallen back into complacency. Wake up! Safety is no autopilot!

But then, when I get a rant from someone at one of the manufacturers saying his visit to one airline's maintenance shop saw a ridiculous comment by one of the maintenance managers, who upon hearing one of the aircraft in the shop can't start its engines, he said (seriously), "have you tried jigging the choke setting?" Both me and my friend wonder, when will the bosses learn, that safety is part of your product, and not some expense/cost to minimize (and that hiring idiots doesn't save you money!)