PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Pension Increase
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2010, 17:25
jpboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A2QFI,

I believe you can relax in your above averageness. My understanding is that those of us already drawing an Armed Forces pension are safe from any changes.

However, those in employment having signed up with the promise of a stated pension are not exempt from having that pension changed prior to their retirement. There are lots of issues that need to be in place before a scheme can be closed down but it is happening across the private sector. Recent examples include long serving employees having final salary schemes pulled from beneath them (financial sector) and money purchase schemes having their benefits redefined (airline industry). As I said, despite sharing your A2 background, I am not an expert on this merely a very interested participant who is watching his civvie street pension T&Cs being threatened.

The Forces pension would cost a fortune to match in civvie street hence envious eyes being cast. I believe it to be a hard earned right and whilst those serving cannot strike they can lobby their MP's and support The Forces Pension Society (http://www.forpen.org/); no I don't get a penny in case you were wondering!

I honestly believe there is a battle coming that could adversely impact the future financial security of all those currently serving. It is one that is being lost by many of your countrymen in civvie street.

Watch your 6.

Last edited by jpboy; 14th Apr 2010 at 17:52.