PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do they teach flying instructors these days?
Old 14th Apr 2010, 09:31
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend not to be an acronym slave and prefer to use logic and observation as a means of ensuring I am making the correct decisions and carrying out the correct actions at a given time.
I have said this to you before Chuck, it is not about you. It is about the student. What you (or I) do when flying is a totally different situation from what the student learning a new skill in a new environment will do.

You seems to be ignoring the fact that we are not talking about checklists.

Let mje try for the last time to explain it to you.

FREDA and similar acronyms are not checks. They are procedures / flows.

At many levels it makes sense where possible to have common procedures that are easily remembered, well understood and in common use.

Lets look at a very typical example of not slavishly following the idea of ""fly the aircraft you're flying".

Big Airline operates B737, A320 and several other types. They have a company wide Noise Abatement Procedure - Maximum Thrust and TO Flap to 1500ft AAL, Maximum Continuous Thrust and TO Flap to 3000ft AAL then accelerate and clean-up.

Not all airports will have a noise abatement restriction. However, in the interest of standardisation and safety, the company insists that the Noise abatement departure is flown in all cases unless safety gives the pilot a reason not to.

If the first level-off is 2500ft do they accelerate and retract the flap. No. Putting a random element into the scenario is opening up the posibility of a distraction and the flap limit speed being exceeded.

Of course that would never happen to you. But it happens to plenty of operators who don't have a cast iron system in place to prevent flap overspeeds during departure.

Getting back to checks. If one is flying a C150 in a club environment there will hopefully be a reasonably standard procedure to configure the aircraft for landing. But what should the checklist be? I can only think of 2 items - Mixture and Security - but that is the checklist and not the procedure.

I have provided training for many people who learned to fly on and and lots of experience on C152 and C172 aircraft (they always checked the gear) and then were moving onto a type such as the PA-28-R (Arrow).

Guess what - they never forgot the Gear. They did frequently however forget the Fuel Pump. They forget to turn it off after departure and they forget to turn it on before landing. Yes the pre-landing checklist caught it but the point is that they have been doing it one way for 150 hours and we don't have another 150 hours practice for them to get it right.

So please don't base the training of a student on what you (with your experience) do but rather develop a system that will ensure that the student can cope and can safely progress with the minimum fuss............unless of course you insist that every student reaches your level of experience and ability in 45 hours or less.