PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What a surprise from EK to UPS
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2010, 12:12
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps my intrepretation of this thread is out of whack, due to the initial obscure post and a couple other subsequent posts, but it seems to me that the issue is not whether the UPS dudes sign a letter of resignation. Rather, that perhaps there might be some kind of 'deal' in the works between the UPS pilots potentially headed for a period of redundancy, their union and our illustrious leadership.

My theory is pure conjecture but consider the following.

-EK is desparate for suitable pilots. Even the poor sods at the recently now-defunct airline in Canada, are not exactly banging at Emirates door to get in. (just what I have heard from the results of the quickly arranged.... 2 days after the airline busted?.... pilot assessment meetings in Toronto)
-UPS probably has some great experienced pilots who are facing (we all hope) a short term layoff period. I'm not sure what types they are flying though, which could destroy my whole theory, but anyhow, wouldn't it seem wise to try to hire these guys even for a short fixed period of time, with full agreement between all parties on the terms, in order to fill the massive void that Emirates is struggling to fill?
-Emirates cannot put enough pilot 'bums in the seats' to properly staff this operation for the next 1 to 2 years. Yes a mutually agreed upon deal with a particular union would be a stop gap measure but it could work.

Damn, if I was management and had put myself in this position, I would make every effort and throw out the past requirement for signed resignation letters, if it bought me some time.

It would be more cost effective for EK to promise the world to these guys, hope some of them stay and continue the operation as opposed to parking aircraft and having to explain to His Highness, why events have unfolded in this manner. Perhaps I am a bit cynical of late and my hypothesis is totally crazy so feel free to pick holes in my argument.

It would be another sad day for airline pilots around the world if indeed these types of deals are being considered by management and pilots. It would be an even sadder day for EK pilots if indeed Emirates got away with this period of incredibly mismanagement.