PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2010, 11:35
bristolflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with many of the previous posts. I cannot see any airline filling the CO route. The original business plan of CO was to serve the regions with a 757 when they did not have access to LHR. It was a innovative plan. Times have changed and they now have full access. It no longer makes business sense for them to operate from BRS when they have 5 departures a day at LHR. My experience of the route has been similar to others. Business is quite thin on numbers, but economy quite full. The only hope I can see is that CO comes back when the economy picks up, on a summer basis. AA were the other airline originally in the mix for BRS and announced they were going to launch a service from Newcastle, but got cold feet. I can't see any airline that operates from LHR to the States looking at BRS. I can't see EK coming either. BRS already has two hub connections at CDG and AMS. The Lufthansa route is the most important to get back. The plan for the airport appears to divide it in two. The western walkway will be basic for Lo-co whilst the revamped eastern end will have airbridges and be more full service. The new walkway may not have moving walkways, but it will be a vast improvement on the Eastern Anderson Shelter. The Terminal experience is crowded, but the airport has to maximize revenue. It's no different to Gatwick or Heathrow. Both have cut back on seating to provide retail floorspace. It is a blow that CO have pulled out, but it must be put in perspective. Passenger numbers are rising again and the airport has a comprehensive network. It is the largest airport outside of London, bar BHX, MAN and EDI and GLA, and that's something to be proud of!