PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tyre pressures are crucial
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2010, 10:18
Edgar Jessop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheely King I agree with most of what you say, but not this bit:

I can safely say that the last 8 out of 10 deflation cases I have dealt with the axle twin once checked the wheel hub had failed NDT with stress cracks due to this being the remaining inflated wheel taking all of the weight.
Yes it is possible that loss of tire px can be caused by a cracked hub but I have never in 15 years seen any cases where the axle mate hub has been cracked by running with an underinflated partner. The tire carcass itself may well be overstressed in such cases and the tire companies will automatically scrap any tire marked "deflated" or "partner", however the wheel hub should still be OK.

Your comments about tiebolts are also worth note, as a single tiebolt failure can be tolerated for a short time with no apparent symptoms. In time however the bolt either side of the failed one will itself fail in overstress and then the deformation from landing stresses will allow the center packing to extrude out between the half hubs resulting in instant deflation. This is a real issue that can affect aircraft like 737s with outboard hub fairings.