PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 13th Apr 2010, 08:31
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss M has expressed very eloquently the two main reasons that the strikers are on strike:
a. They do not trust BA
b. They have an innate fear of New Fleet.

This is primarily because BASSA/Unite have engineered both of these fears in people. I too am cabin crew, I too am fearful of New Fleet. However (and this could be the crucial difference) I TRUST BA when they say they will not impact on my current T&Cs. Why? Well BA have provided two assurances to that effect:
a. The Monthly Travel Payment
b. The transfer of routes on an A, B, C order.

If we sign an agreement with BA to this effect, then being of a logical mind, I am confident that if BA were to renege on the agreement in the future, we could take them to task on it - after all, it would be in black and white. Miss M, you seem to be of a logical mind - which bit of a written agreement do you feel that BA could renege on?

So why do the strikers have such deep mistrust, not only of BA but everyone? Because BASSA have fed the members lies, lies, lies. Just take a look at one of the very first lies BASSA claimed and how it was refuted:

Lie #1: There is no need to make savings.

- BA offered BASSA to look at the books - they refused.
- BA got PWC to independantly audit the books - BASSA said PWC were corrupt.
- The Judge in the February court case ruled that BA were correct in their assessment to make savings.

So we now have HARD EVIDENCE that BA have not lied. If the strikers mistrust BA, then mistrust PWC, Miss M are you now saying that even the judiciary are involved in this anti-BASSA campaign??

Second of all, if BASSA mistrust BA so much then why on earth would they offer them a paycut??? If BA were as untrustworthy as BASSA claim, then BA could have taken the paycut, which was offered over a year ago now. If we had have taken it, BA could now be coming at us for more - New Fleet, complement changes, etc. Therefore the fact that BA did not accept the paycut, is evidence that they are to be trusted.

The final FACT to be relied on in all of this is, somewhat regrettably for us, WW has done everything that he said he would. He said he would impose if agreement was not reached - he did. He said the offers would get worse - they did. He said strikers would lose staff travel - they have. Can anyone state a fact that proves he is a liar?

This deep mistrust of anyone and everyone (pilots, non-strikers, volunteers, BA, PWC, the judiciary, etc) is the root cause of this strike. Miss M - why do you feel you have to choose between BA and BASSA? You work for BA and you PAY BASSA to act in your best interests. They have not. They have let you down - and the evidence is there IF you choose to accept it.

Like any other policy you take out, it's time to let this one go. They are currently ruining our once great community. We all need to regroup and stand up for ourselves before we get left with nothing. It's time to wipe the slate clean, forget about the lies that have been told to us, and READ THE FACTS FOR OURSELVES. I am very fearful of the consequences for our entire community, if we do not.

I am BA cabin crew and this is my own viewpoint and not that of BA.