PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Really worried (Class 1 Medical Question)
Old 16th Jul 2002, 20:35
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Quidam
I did something similar a couple of years ago when I damaged the bottom part of my knee joint and needed 6 screws and a titanium plate to help put it back together. The surgeon did a tremendous job but could not guarantee that I would get full movement back in the knee. I spent 3 months in a fibreglass cast followed by 6 weeks in a velcro splint. All I can say was that it was jolly hard work working with the physios. After the euphoria of getting the cast removed you become quite depressed at how little the knee will bend - about 10 degrees. The physios were brilliant, however, and goaded one into putting more and more effort into the exercises and gradually the knee began to bend. They had a little gadget which measured the knee bend and one became a junky always asking to be measured!!! I endured their attention every day until those magic words you've reached 90 degrees it is down hill from here. Getting my class one back just entailed a visit to my usual Doc who assessed that I could bend the knee and stand on one leg!! he rang the CAA there and then and hey presto back to work 6 months after the accident. If you hold any form of licence you must inform the CAA they are not out to stop you getting your medical back.
So good luck in your recovery and ATPL(H), it may seem a long road but it does have an end.
Regards
HF