PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt Lt Dave Rostron RAF
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2010, 20:24
NRU74

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was initially reluctant to post my memory of Dave Rostron, sad though I was to learn he had died and now Jan as well.
However... we were both on a Valiant staging through Idris en route to Nairobi circa March '64. We had managed to gatecrash a party at Piccolo Capri, which was a sort of Brit Military Club on the outskirts of Tripoli.The Naafi manageresses from the Med military bases were having some sort of get together followed by a party.Two of the guests were two charming, well dressed, well spoken Arab chaps who, when the generator was switched off at midnight, invited two of the girls back to the Uaddan Hotel to go to the night club.These ladies would only go if their two female friends plus Dave and myself went as well.All eight of us were thus invited and on arrival we were ushered to a table next to the dance floor opposite the orchestra.When the champagne arrived I [a 20 yr old Plt Off] was very concerned what this was going to cost.One of our 'new' friends was,apparently, Mohammed Inga, the mayor of Tripoli, who was picking up the tab.We all left about four[ish] and drove these ladies back to BMH Tripoli and then the mayor and his friend drove Dave and me back to the Transit mess. Dave then insisted these two guys had one last beer with us from the stock in his room.They left at approx 5am which was no problem for us as we weren't getting airborne for Embakasi until c0800.
[I have edited this story slightly]
Happy Days
RIP David and Jan