PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help save RAF bicester
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2010, 19:52
Always a Sapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not surprised the Domestic Site has been sold, it was the better of the two built sites and it should'nt be too difficult for the developer to get a return on the asking price either. (once they get rid of the stream that runs under one of the main buildings that is... big one, next to the old mourge, could be Bldg 50).

Should be interesting to see what they do with the Ballistic Range mind... I hope they don't just unbolt the steel plates lining the thing without getting some serious heavy lift gear in first ....

The place never really rose to it's full potential following the incredibly stupid move of the clothing and kit boffins from Colchester, we lost a world beating inhouse resource there btw as a lot of the 'brains' just feked off to industry.

The labs were all set up, spankers new kit etce most of which were never used (all those brand new Fume Cupboards in Bldg 16 anyone?). Apart from the range that is... firing an old 'bang stick' (SLR) in an indoor, steel lined 25 mtr range... rumour was they were even licensed for .50

Shame they didnt find a use for the Tech Site as a part of the move, then all that nasty asb**t*s that infestates the place would have been removed and it would have been maintained over the years instead of being put to wind and weather (ignored more like, so it falls down and we can sell it easier... but I never said that right... RIGHT).