PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2010, 16:41
MissM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mariner9

In December we had a 90% turnout and in March it was 10% less than that. Do you think crew would have received some heart changing information in the very last second? It's way above majority and don't you think it's a sign that there's something wrong?

People can change their mind. If we are to believe the numbers presented by BA about over 60% crew reporting for duty, where did it go wrong? Did the majority suddenly get some last second important information which changed their mind? I can think of other reasons why some yes voters crossed the picket line.

1. They never thought in the first place it would go as far to an actual strike as previous CEO's have always given in at any sign of a possible fuss with the cabin crew.

2. Afraid of the possible consequences involved in going on a strike.

3. Not wanting to lose staff travel (many strikers were actually commuters).

4. Not thinking beyond their next trip which is a good trip i.e. NRT, HKG, CPT, LAX (most were fully crewed with regular crew).

5. Thinking that other crew can take the hit as everyone will still be on same terms and conditions after the strike.

6. Hoping for a promotion if reporting for duty. Back in 1997 they used this threat that if you went on strike you could say goodbye to any future promotion.

7. Not having the courage to go on a strike.

If there was a ballot today I am convinced the outcome would probably be even lower than before. Crew, including strikers, are tired and extremely fed up with the dispute. It has been going on for over a year and everyone wants a settled agreement.