PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2010, 14:43
oldflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad Behaviour? I don't think so!

Miss M,

You say it is sad behaviour of those who elected to work, including temporary crew and volunteers, but is it not really the case that those folk care about their futures, whatever department they come from, and are determined that the narrow minded approach of BASSA to the current financial situation will not prevail, as it may actually destroy the Company?

This is a time of much change in BA, most of the rest of those who work in the Company have already made a lot of changes to their T & C's in order to help BA survive, and many see the recent cabin crew action as bringing a real threat to their future.

Until I retired 3 years ago I was cabin crew for BA for 39 years, and in that long time I was both a Performance Manager and in the 1970's a BASSA rep, and I am genuinely saddened that so many crew follow the BASSA line without question. I have been told by friends who still fly that some do not bother to even read what the Company position is, in the internal communications they are sent.

It is time to be a realist. I believe Mr Walsh is not out to break BASSA, but what he does want is a trades union he can engage with for the sake of both crew and the Company. To do that BASSA have to change tack, though frankly I don't think this will happen. Mr Walsh has been given the task of making BA fit for purpose in a rapidly changing business environment at a time of extreme financial uncertainty. Change has to come to IFCE, and BASSA have to change to have any chance of influencing it.

And oh yes, I offered to return to flying to help BA during the strike period, but sadly as a retiree my offer was very politely refused. I would have been a Happy person, not a sad one to have done it!

Finally keep posting, it is nice to see some balance on both threads, and Safe Flying.

Oldflyboy.