PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Government Tu154M crash
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2010, 14:27
criss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1986 Russians halted LOT aircrafts due to suspicions that the limits were exceeded in operation as the initial cause of IL62 engine failure and catastrophe near WAW. That crew was flying from near Gdansk to WAW with engine failure/explosion and hydraulic limitations passing over at least 2 air-force strips. Would you do otherwise instead? Me myself I would risk a crash landing on a 2500m strip with a crippled plane instead of flying near an hour with smoke and when in the rear, the fire broke-out, the PAX were moving in front bringing her out of control at only 4NM from RWY33 THR. In simulator trainings a Russian trainer said “with fire you have 4 SAFE minutes, after that anything could happen”. It was a tremendous tragedy anyway.
Horse beaten to death. Nice to analyse when you know the outcome and all causes; crew of that Il62 didn't know they had a fire. Also, with such statements, you should first get your facts right. The Kabaty forest disaster was in 87, so how could the Russians halt the LOT fleet in 86 due to it? And they were not flying for almost an hour with a problem, as the entire flight took less than an hour. Also, all this "Russian trainer" thing is nonsense - how can you land an overweight troubled a/c in 4 minutes, starting from around FL300? Too bad you weren't flying that plane, with all your easy answers, maybe they all would be still alive today? BS.

And BTW, what does it have to do with this thread?

PS. "Turning off the rwy lights to make the crew go somewhere else"? Are you insane?