PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Eagle pilot suspended after lying about background
Old 12th Apr 2010, 13:18
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't it ironic? He's actually a pilot pretending to be someone else. Usually it's the other way around. By all accounts he's a bit of Walter Mitty character. But like all the best Walts he has actually done something interesting, albeit an FO in a commuter airline. Like the former naval officer mentioned on the Jetblast thread on Walts who served honourably but without distinction on a ship during the Falklands war but later turned himself into a Sea Harrier pilot.

There are a lot of people who feel they have to make up stories about their lives.
How do we know the article was not fabricated by the writer? ...seems kinda dopey for him to make up stuff for an article.
Actually that makes complete sense. It's almost instinct for people like that to make stuff up. It gets so you actually cannot tell truth from fiction with them. Even the smallest incidents are exaggerated into dramatic tales. The magazine article was a gift from heaven for him.

I know someone like that. She is incredibly plausible. Dangerously so at times. She lies so convincingly that I think at times she actually believes what she's saying. But like all good Walts she is actually highly capable and actually does some good work like travelling to Africa and helping build houses. Except that her role is hugely exaggerated.

Tim will lose his job but will bounce back. They always do.

What I cannot understand is how that article made it to print. Don't they have any critical faculty at all in their editorial department? How could anyone reading that actually believe that a 24 year old could find time to be a commuter pilot, firefighter, paramedic, fighter pilot and still have time to do charity work? Not to mention all the other stuff he finds time to do. They must be feeling pretty stupid now.