PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The oldest operational RAF Aircraft not type but actual Aircraft?
Old 12th Apr 2010, 11:20
The Real Slim Shady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I resemble that remark

Barksdale Boy

I seem to remember that in 1980/81 there was a crew on 27 Vulcan MRR Sqn, of whom four were over 60 or pretty close to it; the co-pilot was a youthful 51. It was said that when they arrived at Hickham on a ranger they enjoyed themselves by spending their time off drinking endless g + ts in bed.
John Marman's crew: I was the co pilot ( 24 ) Gordon Mitchell the Nav Rad (54), Brian Olive Nav Plot ( 53 - ish), Gordon Jones AEO ( early 50s).

The original AEO had been Tom Flood ( 44 ) and when he left the crew we had various guests for a while, Jim Mooney notably from the Rowlands crew when the Sqn went to 9 crews, but GJ took over permanently in late 80.

The best description of JM came from Bolive " He's a garrulous old b8stard at the best of times".

On a Ranger I would give them a bottle of gin and 6 pack of tonic, put the jet to bed with the crew chiefs and join them later in the hotel or BOQ to clear up the empties :-)

Good times.