PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Funded Air defence
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2010, 19:36
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,636 Likes on 749 Posts
Hi Gonzo,

Background to my remarks, and with the caveat that I retired in '99 and am an old fart so things may have changed.

ADGE radars

In the days of the T80/84/85 static radars these could be used by MATO/NATS, because they were static and had had extensive polar diagram/trials coverage.

When we introduced the mobile T91/92/93/102 series, with multiple mobile sites, these were not considered usable Which is what lead to the death of Highland and Border radars and the the co-ordination suite at Neatishead as a consequences.

NATS radars

When they started to feed in the NATS radars to UKADGE the MoD shut down Portreath, Ty Croes, Bishops Court etc. About 4 years later NATO found out the replacement sensors were SSR only and went ballistic. They didn't give a damn about the UK east coast, but the periphery had to be covered, so we had to move radars back again (which meant robbing the east coast sites so they were left with the T93s (crap and not fit for purpose) and the NATS feed.

The problem with the NATS feed being they were mainly SSR (at long range, the short range primary for airfield control not be fed, only the SSR), and even when the primary failed there was no indication.I had many occasions when I suddenly realised I was controlling above 245 in the MRSA using SSR only.

ORAC: IC, FA, MC, IDRO. TPO, RO 1975-1999.