PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2010, 19:24
GemDeveloper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gross Remuneration - Mea Culpa

I apologise that my misinterpretation of the original post led me to produce data that “cause mass hysteria and get a queue for the outrage bus.” I shall request that any such potential passengers form an orderly queue.

If the data are corrected (allowances of £7000 of which I understand 59% is taxable), then the net money for this individual is £24,269 which is equivalent to a salary on which full income tax is paid of £28,717

If the pay and allowances are factored pro rata for an 100% contract, the net money is then £31,927 equivalent to a salary on which full income tax is paid of £38,290

If one takes the data from the CAA table for the average cabin attendant cost to British Airways*, and exactly the same factors are used for allowances, then the average net money is £27,058 equivalent to a salary on which full income tax is paid of £32,204

If, as I assume, within the CAA figures there is a number of staff who are on less than 100% contracts, the average will be an underestimate for the average 100% contracts.

I have not included employee National Insurance or pension contributions in these figures, as this is a more complex calculation. Thus these net of tax figures are overstated, but are indicative.

I shall now retire, and leave others to debate the appropriateness of these indicative salaries. The Institute for Fiscal Studies provides a helpful web site:
http://www.ifs.org.uk/wheredoyoufitin/

* The CAA Document states: Included are gross salary (before deduction of income tax, pension social welfare and voluntary payments), overtime pay, sales commissions, flying pay and subsistence allowances, (such as cost of living allowances, station and overseas allowances) and all crew hourly flight allowances (i.e. those in excess of travel and incidental expenses).