PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Government Tu154M crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2010, 17:43
andrasz

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
jsypilot

It is, however it is just a 'recommendation' from ICAO, there are numerous exceptions. French ATC will regularly communicate in french with french aircraft - can be extremely annoying trying to keep situational awareness in the busy Paris area. Same for spanish ATC (in Spanish). In all cases it is a case of national pride vs. practicality and safety. Russian civilian ATC did change to English (even for local flights, an impressive feat, kudos to whoever managed to bang that through), but the military is Russian only. As it was a military airfield, Russian comms would be normal (and expected).

What I find very curious, and I'm sure intentional, is the very careful wording of any official information (including the interview with the controller, which I'm sure was officially sanctioned, and probably orchestrated). In all cases the words 'suggested' and 'recommended' are used when describing controller comms with the a/c(russian speakers, please help out, do you feel the same when reading it in russian ?), in stark contrast to the Russian procedures of ATC being in 'control' and giving commands & orders to aircraft. While in civilian ATC the rules have been relaxed to international norms, in military ATC I'm sure there is no change... Also during a PAR approach, the controller is in fact 'in control' of the aircraft. The pilot merely carries out controller instructions, as he has no means of verifying his position other than the controller's words. On such an approach the controllers words are an order, not a suggestion...

Last edited by andrasz; 11th Apr 2010 at 19:07.