PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DERRY/LONDONDERRY
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2010, 16:56
speedbirdATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think RYR's only intended expansion at the moment is on summer routes, which I think is a good thing as it leaves the door open for others to expand the UK market. GLA, NCL, BRS, LGW are all possibilities for Flybe/Aer Arann/ bmibaby. It seems odd that we can all see the potential for these routes, yet the operators can't?

This made me wonder (and this may sound silly), are some operators waiting for the airport to finalize/complete it's expansion before announcing anything new? For example tonight between 19.00 and 21.30 there will be 3 RYR 737's and an ATR which would mean 500 or so PAX passing through in that short time. Add to that a further ATR Manchester flight from 20th May too. There are certain times through the week that these 'PAX heavy' periods occur and may be seen as a no-go for new operators who wish to fly in at these times.

Only one taxiway serves the main apron at the moment. Can you picture delays with all stands occupied, a/c trying to get in and out to the runway using one twy, at an airport the size of LDY it would be an ATC nightmare. Anyone remember the First Choice airbus that sank into the tarmac a few years ago as it waited for a stand?
But, when all the taxiways are completed/upgraded, the new Offset ILS for 08 becomes available (May or June probably), and of course the extension to the terminal building the airport will become a very attractive little prospect for new operators, so who knows what routes are in the pipeline?

Of course I could be talking complete rubbish here and am only speculating as to why we have an airport so barren of airlines! Any thoughts? Could the airlines be waiting for Derry/Londonderry to be awarded the 2013 City of Culture to give them advertising oppurtunities etc? lol