PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargojet 727 Overrun at CYQM
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2010, 02:04
OverRun
Prof. Airport Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safetypee,

My apologies for the delay in answering; you've raised many valuable points and I only got to sit down today to think them through. Your point is very well made about:
The majority of current operations are on good runways (grooving/texture, drainage), which reduces opportunity to experience lower than expected friction (also a problem of reverse/autobrake use); this, and the reliance on thrust reverse, can lead to complacency when assessing the conditions for landing
I know a crew who fit exactly into the picture you've described, and who changed their complacent attitude (and their underpants) recently on a certain runway in the land of the verdant garden with low microtexture and low macrotexture.

Thanks very much for the links as well. The Horne paper on wet runways in particular yielded this particular gem of the inter-relationship between macro/micro-texture and fluid pressure alleviation which had been pretty much lost to most airport engineers and pilots with the passage of time. In the interests of safety and education, here it is: