PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8 DEC's interviewed at EK last week
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2010, 22:34
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it happens at some airlines but there is no other airline with so many qualified and capable F/O's who are being bypassed. From an experience and suitability standpoint, there never has been a need for DEC's at Emirates..... the policy is simply a cost savings measure! Nowadays though, I concede that since fewer suitable F/O's are opting for EK and we are so far behind the power curve when it comes to crewing the aircraft, DEC's are becoming the only option.

Many of us have been predicting a reinstatement of hiring a large amount of DECs and yes, every single pilot considering this airline should have considered this fact but all of us, even those not affected by this policy should be compassionate towards those affected. This is a very sad turn of events for the F/O's already here and those about to join. I have stated on many occasions to prospective pilots coming to EK, ''watch out for a massive increase in DECs and when it happens, don't come crying to the rest of us.'' But now that it appears to be happening again, I can't help but sympathize with my colleagues, regardless of how much denial they were experiencing when they signed on the dotted line.

The DEC policy at EK has always been a bad option simply because we have always had an abundance of suitable F/O's ready to upgrade. It blatantly exposes our managements view regarding our value to the company and demonstrates that they just don't care about us.

This tendency towards DEC's is far worse for many pilots at EK, than the vast assortment of other negative changes recently.

Nothing against those pilots who are about to join as DEC's, most of us would do the same, but lets be honest. Many DEC's will be less capable, less knowledgeable and less personable (Capt America springs to mind), than most of the F/O's with whom I fly on a daily basis.

If you think this airline has finally sunk to the bottom of the sludge pool when it comes to its treatment of employees, they will surely find yet another way to force us to lower our expectations. The situation here has become laughable in many respects.

ps. I cannot imagine anyone from a decent place, even if they are unemployed at the moment, considering joining this operation. 6 years to upgrade?? wow, it might be 10 now!