PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - funding my flying career!
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2010, 20:58
PAPI-74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point about making sure that you have the minerals to see it through. Once you light the touch paper on the training, you must see it through or loose thousands – and I have seen many never get employed...ever. The glossy adverts dangle the lifestyle – that isn’t there anymore, but that is for another thread – and will paint a rosy image of the employment chances. Be cynical. Believe no one. Make your own mind up and visit 3 schools to see where you are comfortable.
I managed to acquire one of the HSBC professional studies loans for my modular training. My bank had to seek advice from the Oxford branch, as they were the most current with the process. The problem came when I couldn’t find a job and didn’t have enough to get my FIC – ‘banko de mother’ came to the rescue for that one. Anyway, the bank wanted their money after 18 months of stalling them so I had to remortgage our home (now with 3 kids), interest only, which is my current position. I instructed for a while and got a turboprop gig, in which I am grateful but well and truly stuck – no thanks to the CTC biffs out there on 6 month contracts (idiots!!!).
Tips –
*Be prepared to shut off everything to pass the exams - my wife went into labour during my Air Law exam, but I just made it....after finishing of course.
*Add 10-15% to everything, just in case.
*Never pay upfront. If you are unhappy with them, you will not see a penny back – see it happen.
*Buy the Elite flight sim. Single engine is fine for setting your scan up – saved me about £1000 in training (not the MS Flight Sim).
*Get a part time job that is for more than 16hrs per week (or that you can log 16hrs for) and claim benefit. If you were doing a BTEC in Carpentry, the state would pay for everything – aviation doesn’t count so get what you can. You can get council tax benefit one. Ask the C.A.B.
*The rest is luck – never pay for a type rating. There are many who have and never seen a job.
You will have highs and lows. Just keep your chin upto the light and keep your legs kicking.

Keep the faith amigo!