PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FA2 Pilot Training - age concern?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2002, 13:50
Thundercat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is that the majority of you seem to painting a fairly gloomy picture of our RN's flying capacity! For any aircraft, working in the corrosive conditions of an ocean environment is going to take a heavy toll on airframes and mechanical parts. It is hardly surprising therefore, that Naval equipment has to undergo frequent and rigorous overhaul to ensure the safety of it's aircrew.

Looking longer term then, if I had the luxury of options, which would be the more fulfilling to fly - rotary or Harrier? I'm not sure what length of service I would sign up to at present, but at the end of their term obviously for many ex-military aviators the airlines are a significant career option. Although I wouldn't necessarily choose the same route, return to civvy street has decisions that almost need to be decided at this stage! I was told by a RN Officer that flying helicopters was a preferred route for later airline selection due to the fact that you operate twin engines and have responsibility for other crew on board the aircraft, whereas the Harrier is only single engine and single person. How much truth is there in this?