PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About how to avoid TS
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2010, 14:32
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally unexpected

Task was a HiLo dawn strike on a range in North Borneo, out of Tengah, Singapore. The aircraft, a Canberra B.15, with full bomb load, tip tanks and all that. After take-off into the black, over to Singapore radar for onward clearance, given as (approx) "Clear ahead on planned track, over". So far, so as per usual. At about FL 100 or a bit more, suddenly the aircraft was shaken about like nobody's business -all the flight instruments all over the place, giving no real guidance. A phrase from an Air Clues article on flying in a bumbly cumulo popped up from the memory banks: "Don't fight it, ride it" (like white-water rafting in later years ...).
So far, so not all that good ... Then my peripheral vision noted that both engines' rpm were dropping rapidly ... left-hand fingers straight on the two relight buttons ... Right thumb on the transmit button for a Mayday ... Still being thrown around very, very hard ... One-armed papr-hanger sort of stuff ...
Then equally suddenly, smooth air (thrown out of the side of the thing ? - that's what it felt like). No.2 engine had caught on the re-light, so we'd got "go" power, but later tries to re-start No.1 failed. Downgraded the Mayday to Pan, whereupon Singapore Radar, whom I was about to accuse of being asleep, or at best dozy at that time of night, said there was still nothing showing on his screen. A few minutes later, he said "Oh my G**d, Now there is ! ". Thanks a bundle, friend.
Nowt to do but return to a safe holding pattern, orbit till daylight and a respectable landing weight, jettison the bombs (without throwing them at an uncleared range possibly with night fishermen at work) - note that we'd got one still hung up - friendly terra firma. Why the heck my two young navigators clapped as we rolled to a stop I've never realised - I think I said "Shurrup, you two !"... (But it was a satisfyingly smooooooth landing, so that's possibly why - for a change).

Too right you don't want to "be there", and if you do get there, there's not much you can do but "ride it" (you're too busy to hope).
And even now, nearly 42 years ago, there's a dampness on the palms of my hands if I should happen to remember that trip ...

Jig Peter Out

Last edited by Jig Peter; 10th Apr 2010 at 14:38. Reason: apostrophe in wrong place