PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No blame' Over RAF Tornado Crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2010, 13:35
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Remnants of ingrained Tucano experience perhaps?
If that's true, which I doubt, it makes one question the suitability of turboprop trainers for military flight training.

Nope, I suspect the core reason for the accident was lack of recency. When the hirearchy kept cutting away at flying hours, the old wise heads said it would all end in tears. Others quit whilst the going was good...

Another issue which will bite one day is the experience levels of pilot coming out of training - particularly their PIC (Captain) time.

OK, I know it's a bit 'swing the lantern and pull up a sandbag', but back in the early 1970s I arrived at RAFC with 55 hrs PIC from the UAS, plus the PPL from my RAF Scholarship. On the JP course I amassed another 37 hours PIC and a further 20 during my Gnat course. Add TWU, a few holds and refreshers and I arrived at my first () OCU with 185 hrs PIC.....

I met someone recently who told me that ME pilots are arriving at their OCUs these days with only 30 hours PIC. To those who say that the dual training would more than compensate I say "Bolleaux! Quantity has a quality of its own! Learning to save your neck when there's no-one to turn to is a very useful lesson".