PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 10th Apr 2010, 12:46
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKabaka
Hi Eddy,
'ello

Do you believe that....
a) The best way to secure the best possible deal for the cabin crew is to refuse to negotiate on permanent cost savings (as "voted" for at a race course meeting)?
Good heavens no. Negotiation on both sides is vital if we're ever going to find a solution to these problems that include the ability for existing crew to keep doing the job they love and maintain the lifestyle they've built for themselves.

b) Or that this time last year you expect your reps to be in a room with BA thrashing out a deal (after taking into account the wishes of the membership). After they have got as much as possible from BA the resulting deal is put forward for a ballot. If accepted by the majority the deal is implemented.
Well absolutely, but I'm an absolute outsider. I don't know what goes on between the company and the union behind closed doors. The company says one thing and the union says something completely different. Who do you believe? I don't for one second believe the union would just refuse to talk without just cause, but nor do I believe that the company has been as unapproachable in the past as Bassa sometimes likes to suggest.

What has occurred is a. If you thought at the time that was the way to go when you review that decision today do you still hold that it was the right call?
See my answers above. I respect Bassa and its reps but I also respect Msrs. Walsh and Francis. I love BA, I love my job and I recognise that change is very much needed. I would never, ever, believe that shutting oneself in a room when it comes to industrial relations is the right thing to do.