PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No blame' Over RAF Tornado Crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2010, 12:07
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree with BEagle on light aircraft flying having little to do with this. According to the registration earlier the aircraft the pilot flew was a Jabiru 400 - this aircraft has a small amount of adverse yaw to deal with using a bit of rudder. However, when you compare this to the Spitfire, Hurricane and even Chippie that BBMF fly the rudder required on the Jabiru is tiny. Don't forget that the majority of BBMF pilots are all current FJ pilots and I don't see them spearing in every 5 minutes. So I disagree with the Board's finding on this - the President, I understand, is a Navigator with little PPL type experience, so it would be interesting to see where he got his advice from! Everyone, knows that the rudder pedals are foot rests in the Tornado unless there is a crosswind on landing! Even the CSAS removes most of the rudder input for single engine work.

However, the rest of the Board looks about right IMHO as the currency and competency from 10hrs a month is definately the biggest root cause.

LJ

PS. I believe that airworthiness is about aircraft engineering and nothing to do with competency, currency and regulations. Furthermore, if we did as some suggested and only released the RTS when all the crews are trained and competent - how would we train them in the first place without an aircraft RTS