PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2010, 10:02
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOMEONE keeps going on that the problems occur close to the airport and that we should 'free' controllers up to deal with these problems closer in, by not distracting them by dealing with problems further away.

From a controllers point of view the reason that these problems occur closer to the airport or holding pattern is probably because they haven't been subject to positive control and dealt with further out.

As a general rule, if I don't have Plan A/B/ and C ready for my arriving jet, or turbo, sequence BEFORE top of descent I will be playing catch up.

In the same vein it could be argued that overruns are not because the PIC was not on a stable approach at Xft or X miles (or what ever the company mandates) but because he was too high or fast as he crossed the airport fence. In that case the pilot should assess his approach as he passes the airport fence and apply their judgement at that point.
In this case we should be putting our resources into arrestor hooks and netting as this is where the overruns occur.

I am not actually serious in case the 'triumvirate' decide to latch on and push this barrow with the Minister.