PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near midair over SFO
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 23:40
Robert Campbell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transcript

Aviator:

Have you read / listened to the transcript / exchange?

The Cessna pilot found him/herself in the path of a rapidly approaching airliner and took an apparently correct evasive action.
The Cessna pilot (male) followed directions to the letter. I think that the 777 crew was not paying attention.

Listen to the tape.

If I'm cleared into Class B airspace and am following directions, I have as much right to be there as the big guys.

I fly in SFO's Class B regularly when I'm shooting aerials. First I call NORCAL Approach on the phone, then I give SFO tower a call if I'm working below 3,000 ft. to ask permission and coordinate the operation.

On occasion, an airliner is restricted below me for a minute or so or vectored around me.

I remember one day when I was working over Yerba Buena Island at 6,000 ft. photographing the Port of Oakland. An airliner asked what "the little guy" was doing at that altitude then told the controller that I had no business being there. The NORCAL controller said I had a clearance and had every right to be there. Then he held then the airliner at 5,000 ft. for another 2 minutes or so well after he was clear.

I've also been asked to move to one side to let a heavy pass. I comply immediately.

As long as we all play by the rules, the system works well. In this case, size doesn't count.