PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 NDB approach
Thread: 2 NDB approach
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 23:31
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gusting_45,

I seem to have been hearing that argument since the 'Sixties! Unfortunately, some poor sods still have to do them for real. If you don't:
(a) count yourself spoilt:
(b) don't bother to come on this thread?

FE Hoppy:

I assume you are right, but the basic principle would still apply; and the DH (or decision altitude?) would have to be type-specific, to cater for different flare performances. If I remember correctly, ILS DHs are normally predicated on the use of a radio altimeter, requiring suitably flat terrain. In the case of non-precision approaches, the latter is often not available, so any decision height/altitude would presumably be associated with a barometric altimeter?

[Some of us are old enough to remember when DHs were first introduced on ILS approaches! Prior to that, in the UK at least, we only had CH (critical height); the ILS equivalent of MDA. We even used to level-off at critical height on an ILS. NOT a good idea, as I'm sure most of our readers are aware, particularly on a jet... ]

Chris

Last edited by Chris Scott; 10th Apr 2010 at 09:17. Reason: Last sentence added.