PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report Changing to CTAF, please
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 23:14
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Experimental,
A simple fix would be to say ROUTE like the Yanks do: ROUT. That may not work though if you're next waypoint is GROUT.

Max Heli Angle,
Rotorblades is right, and the rules are crystal clear. If you do not call changing, then you are obliged to respond to ATC if they call you, just as you are if on Centre or App and they call you. If you do not do so because of a busy CTAF, that is not ATC's problem and they are quite within their rights to declare incerfas or whatever. It's up to you to manage the comms and not leave others in the lurch. If the CTAF is super busy, I generally get rid of Centre. I have seen more stuffups because of people trying to run two comms at the same time than I like.

Going into a CAGRS, there is no reason not to call changing (or for that matter to call cancel SAR to ATC). The CAGRO knows all the traffic and further ATC input is simply not required.

And I agree with Ixy; even though you have told Centre you're changing, I still monitor the centre freq for taxiing calls from aircraft taxiing.